Monday, April 16, 2007

* Arrange whatever comes your way *

This weekend as I was safety pinning a quilt for my nephew, I was thinking about what quilting means in an era when blankets and quilts are very cheap and readily available. The logical self starts to analyze, "Why again am I doing this time consuming thing?"
Remember, I am supposed to be making this transition into art quilting. However, there are some projects that also need to be finished as well, usually these projects are at the point where what needs to be done is definitely not the exciting part.
But what I realized is that doing what you love keeps the self intact. It is sure far better than other alternatives I could try that lead down to paths of temporary insanity or sanity, however one wanted to conceptualize those activities.
The studio is also in desperate need of a clean out. Life seems to be throwing me pieces faster than I can organize them. (note this doesn't mean I am actually buying the pieces). This is a good thing, and I embrace being blessed with lots of material that I can use to benefit others, especially little boy nephews in need of love and whom have a feeling of loosing a sort of home, losing the fundamental need of love and belonging in a normal family.
With the quilt maybe somehow I can get across without saying it, that pieces of life do come together, and we can take what we are given and what we are not, and make it better, make our own patterns.

No comments: