Thursday, March 20, 2008


"But fiber art is also a visual language which helps us to grasp the world around us, to explore new ideas, and to define our sense of being"

-Polly Ullrich


The first day of Spring in the county brings the wind. The clouds can't decide what to do, and the sun likes to try and dry the vibrant grasses which play against the sunlight as it turns on an off again.
I've finished two garments this past month, and hopefully pictures will be posted soon. I have pinned a couple quilts, trying to finishing up some of the lingering objects in order to clear some room.
I cannot imagine "being" without color. It cheers and it energizes, and it can also subdue. I like the equation of color and language, and further that being can be captured by physical representations- a manifestation of soul.
While I was working on the hand in the picture above, I was rustling around different fabrics not at all satisfied with them, and in the process I lost the paper hand. Well, that increased frustration until I bent over and noticed another piece I had forgotten had fallen to the floor, and then as I stepped on a thread spool I lifted my foot in pain, only to burst out laughing, because there was the hand I had been looking for.
Fiber art is the visual language through which I can center myself and get into the mood of peace. I am then better able to see the world, even if by accident that is around me, and explore how my ideas can come into being in the world. Often when I step back, or return to a finished piece sometime later, that is when I find the being reflected back to me.

1 comment:

Val said...

This is my first visit to your blog. You write very well. I really enjoyed my visit.