Monday, December 3, 2007

"If it isn't a ROSE it's a weed"

And I thought I had an odd affection for roses. The characters in:
Otherwise Normal People - Inside The Thorny World of Competitive Rose Gardening (Aurelia C. Scott)
are on the level to which I aspire. These are people who have pursued their passion to the point of excellence.

My favorite character in the book is Clarence. With his pots, and his garage full of roses and rose paraphernalia, he clearly wins the affection of every rose buff. His ingenuity concerning the gadgets he creates for the the care of his roses is amazing. I admire how he keeps trying new ideas out, and I vow to remember that this trait is a hallmark of excellence.

The only thing is, that for myself, instead of showing roses competitively, I have always wanted to use my roses to bless other people, so I give them away to surprise people. Maybe this book will make me want to show my roses at a later date - who knows?
For now the roses are dormant, enriched by melted snow, and what is a rose gardener to do in the winter beside wrinkle the nose smelling the new varieties that do not exist yet in their collection - well read about them, of course.

No comments: