Monday, June 18, 2007

Heat n' Bond Gods



Banana scones sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar fill the kitchen with their warm scent. They are heart shaped and will go well with lemon tea. This past weekend was rainy and I got a little more of my quilt quilted, while slowly putzing away with the cleaning the studio. The cutting counter clear, the unruly thread spools put away. Those are the moments you find yourself wondering about the brilliant idea of re-organizing. Tomarrow maybe I will try out an embroidery just for a change.

Now that my design wall is so well lit with the new clip lights, I am anxious to put in a little time working on that as well. The pieces are somewhat small in certain areas and I am wondering why I just couldn't release it all to the heat n' bond gods instead of turning under the edges and gluing. Future endeavours will rely on the fusing more.


This little apron project was fun. I used bias tape to edge it and make the ties, and stitched a decorative stitch with bright green thread. Not a bad result for creating as I went.
As for inspiration, I have finished reading about the watercolorist Winslow Homer, and one of the things I like about Homer (besides that he was a recluse :) is that he painted the sea as a sort of moving mosaic with it's often varied moods. I took a picture of one of his works because the sea has peach and soft foamy greens, and dark blue with soft teal and lots of white spaces. Curious to me is the black and brown that is used in the sea to highlight and stress the tip of the waves. This is a daring feat, a proclamation that sea foam and peach must need a strong man type color like black or brown. Yet the combination it precisely what I would like to use for the sea's tones in the work I have on my design wall right now. So I must pin it up to the wall, and take it with me to fabric shops. Maybe I will begin to paint some fabrics. I really enjoy the mood these colors create, they seem to imply that life, just like the sea, can be both calm and soothing- while hard, cold and upsetting.

No comments: