Monday, January 28, 2008

Walking for Inspiration



No sewer can linger, back arched at a machine for too long. Walks are required for mediation and advanced thought, for the clearing out- enabling focus to spin around to what is important in one's art.
This weekend I did my block of the week, and was able to carve a linoleum block stamp. I hope to do some printing on fabric soon.
I have been wavering about a decision. I attend a weekly quilt group. I feel like I have given it a good go. However, due to some of the personalities in the group, I am feeling like I would like to step back from it. As of late, there has been gossiping about absent members, harsh and bossy directions and criticism, and just an atmosphere of intimidation and making people feel less than. This comes from the baby boomers in the group. The older ladies are very sweet. I think this group which I wanted to be a growing opportunity has degraded into making me worse at my craft.
So do I just quit? I want to. I can't abide these behaviors and I don't want to become like that. That said, I do enjoy the time just that one hour, to work. So I am thinking of starting a group myself.
In life and in art it takes courage to cut out what is not working. There is a difference surely between "pruning" and just "quitting" wouldn't you say?

1 comment:

Elin said...

Hello! Thanks for visiting my blog. My advice on block carving is get the good stuff - tools and carving materials...the $13 brayer really is better than the $4 brayer. Same goes for the cutters. And of course, pracitce, practice, practice!

About the quilting group...you need to enjoy it. If you're surrounded by negative energy, your work will suffer. Maybe you can open a discussion or evaluation about the group with the other members and see if you can bring some positive vibes back in.