Monday, July 16, 2007

Fabric Covered Storage Carts

Oranges & Lemons (faded just a bit in sun)

Well the weekend was relaxing and fun, sitting by the water's side watching the muscle boats and the jet ski's. It made me long for more time off, but I feel fortunate to have the week that we will get sometime this summer. There may be the possibility to fly somewhere, and I am hoping that works out as I have wanted to see Monticello.
I realize that for now daily needs have trampled the studio time, and so that is just life. New fridges go out, cabinets are wrong, workouts and food shopping excursions get in the way of constant accomplishing.
However, the next project on the list is one I have been waiting to do, and having found the fabric, I will now proceed this week on it. For lack of a china cabinet (I will get one when the time is right), I store my china in it's boxes along with other entertaining paraphernalia on the wire rack shelving carts that roll (to be found at Costco). I have two of them pushed against the back wall of my dining room where they fit perfect. I wish I had written down the name of the decorator book that shows these nifty fabric enclosures, fore they are quite regal looking. The only thing is, they had no pattern, so I am making my own and it will take just a bit more time.
The long awaited fabric:

It is more navy/denim in real life. I am really happy to find a fabric that I feel will be great for this project at the price point I had to have in order to do this: $1 per yard. I figured that much more than that, and I would be well on my way to a china cabinet with no additional sewing efforts required. I plan to use the denim with white swirl fabric as the body, and then some white duck for a stripe along the bottom and down the center. I also may add custom piping between the dark fabric and the white, a perfect application for my serger's piping foot.
I like the future usability of this storage solution, because later when I do have grow-up furniture (I am visualizing a light wood antique number - a girl can dream) I can use these covered storage towers elsewhere in the house.
Now if this isn't motivation to get the cutting counter clean, I'm not sure what is.
I am so thrilled that I have the skills to tackle this project for two reasons:
1) This will allow more storage than a cabinet (which I require right now)
2) I can get a custom look without a custom price
Well if it weren't for all the practical stuff, Hmm, laundry, I would be getting down to this right now. I will use my drone time to come up with my mental plan.
Doesn't one need a mental plan before starting on such projects? Usually I splash right into something, but when fabric is tight, the ruler comes out and I actually draw diagrams.
Well I hope this inspires someone to tackle a home-dec. sewing project that may be just a little scary for them, because there is so much reward in having done something yourself that meets your vision.

No comments: