Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When It's Too Hot To Iron - Embroider

Inspiration
Into Stitches


This embroidery was inspired by my bouquet of Golden Zest and I think Teasing Georgia. You know that you are blessed when you reach the point where the roses are almost out of your memorization field. This piece is going to be a wristlet, the cute ones I have seen all over have really inspired me, although I do think this would make a pretty pillow or sachet.


The house smells like Grapefruit, and the floors are clean
wash hung out on the line since it dries fast in 90+ heat.




I am thankful that I live not far from the sea, and so even in the extreme heat, there is that wild breeze. I organized my cross-stitch stuff into a neat bag, and so this summer hopefully I will have nice relaxing places to take it with me when I get away.
I ironed all my pieces that I fabric painted/dyed/sun resisted, and I am very pleased with how they have come out. I have one all safety pinned ready for thread play, and I will get that posted soon I hope.
Machine embroidery is such a good thing to do when you have clothes to put away or a closet to organize, because you can multi-task. Now I know that detracts from the art process, but sometimes it is nice to have some embroideries ready and stitched for when you sit down to sew.
I have been listening to this ambient music all day, different, but nice because it allows you a lot more thoughts than when you listen to music with words.
I am pondering what it means to make art. Why is there this thread of needing to make stuff ourselves nowadays? People are so tired of the cookie cutter same (can't find what they want), longing for distractions and de-stressing, and wondering how they fit into a world already arranged for them by manufacturers and big box stores.
Sewing can open up a world to people. If they are willing to make mistakes and move on down the line, sewing can showcase their dreams, and manifest visions into a product that is useful in daily life. And when you sew something yourself, you have a valid right to claim this is mine and at least for now exclusively.




2 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

your roses are beautiful-both the grown and the sewn ones. love the color!

Nico said...

Your embroidery is so lovely. I really enjoy all of the pictures of your projects and roses too.