Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Normal Is Boring

My China, (picture from Lenox)

Good Morning! It is a day in the northwest when you remember why one lives up in these parts. The day that makes up for the grey, and the whispers of sun that visit in the winter time. It is summer, and I should not be posting a picture of a coffee pot. I don't even drink coffee hot. I love my Lenox.
Well in other news, is got so hot yesterday, that I also found some solice in serging, and I was thinking about how I wish my serger could keep track of usage time just like my sewing machine does? Machine companies are you listening? Then I could prove that I use that little hummer more even than the sewing machine(s), since no one really quite seems to fully believe me on that one. I serged some napkins for gifts using a three-thread rolled edge and Wooley Nylon, and some terry for rags using a wide three-thread overlock (I hate consuming wasteful quantities of paper towels), and I actually ran out of thread before I got to some dyed silk chiffon that I wanted to make into scarfs. I like the serger, because I like going fast when I sew. I like it because it is a professional finish, and washing machine proof.
Well I am thinking that the goals for the day include 1 full hour cleaning the studio. I think I will laugh myself if I ever get an "after" picture with a cleared off cutting counter to post. Chuckles, turn away and run, or move the piles strategy - I'm not sure the best approach right now? Sewers are messy? Art quilter's are cluster producing divas? Serging phenoms are irreverent about fuzzballs blasting all over their wardrobe and the weave of their berber?
Normal is boring, I faced that down with a hard stare long ago, muttering to myself that perfection is about getting better at making messes and mistakes, and stepping back long enough to allow perspective on the craziness.

No comments: